Monday, January 9, 2012

Crows getting lunch

When i was leaving the bank, i noticed my second favorite animal (rabbit being first) grabbing some lunch from a nearby dumpster. Crows fascinate me, as they are quite smart, and an episode of Nature on PBS goes into how smart they actually are. I put out food for birds, and sometime nuts for them and the squirrels, and i'm always fascinated by their behavior, like how they will see me in the kitchen, and wait until i turn my back to grab the nuts and fly off. They are also bigger than any of the pictures i take of them seem to show. When they land on the deck and sit there, they seem as long as my arm, and are even more impressive up close.

On a different note, they must be enjoying the weather, it's been near or over 50 degrees F lately, and that is way, way warmer than it normally has been. You can also sort of see the lack of snow, last year we had over three feet of snow to this date, and we've so far got a fraction of that, and all of it has melted pretty quickly.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You must have an affinity with the Native Americans who have many tales about crows. Yes, they are very clever.